The Article shows the integration of Varia radar on the Karoo. Model of Varia RTL500 and RTL 510
Available in software versions 1.95.686.3 and above
Users can see the radar is connected in-ride view, be made aware of the threat level of approaching traffic while riding, and be able to mute/unmute the radar indicator in-ride to have control over whether or not to see on-screen visuals for cars approaching (i.e. on busy city streets) while still maintaining connection to the radar.
Add the sensor inside the Sensor app.
Basis of in-ride visual representation:
- Connection of a Radar triggers the on-screen Car Track Sidebar and the Radar icon in the action bar
- Persistent Car Track Sidebar shifts/resize the data page accordingly
- When a car approaches, there’s a dynamic visual representation of the distance between rider and car in realtime
- Multiple cars: Radar in-ride experience will reliably handle up to 2 cars approaching.
Distance of each car will be represented independently within the Car Track Sidebar
“No threat” (no car registered by Radar)
“Low threat” (any car approaching at normal speed (use Varia’s designation))
“High threat” (any car approaching at high speed (use Varia’s designation))
“Threat passed” (cleared after high/low threat)
- The car icon on the Car Track Sidebar is no longer displayed.
- Persists for 3 seconds - May change based on real-life testing.
- This state always follows a yellow or a red, and never occurs otherwise.
- Radar sensors can be muted/unmuted.
- Users can mute/unmute.
- Control for this is an in-ride only feature and doesn’t need to be toggle-able anywhere else.
- In the mute state, radar remains connected. Only the in-ride, on-screen experience changes.
- Mute Toggle Icon persists only while radar is enabled.
- Mute Toggle Icon visually indicates if the Karoo is searching for an enabled radar but is not connected.
- Mute toggle Icon does not interfere with in-ride experience (i.e. blocking data)
Note: Do not turn on the head unit until it's within 3 m of the Radar and also more than 10m away from other ANT devices.
This is how the "Low Battery" notification from the Varia Radar will look like:
Check these article for more info:
For the Varia 500: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/variabikeradar/EN-US/GUID-BE586467-7C39-4440-8409-074D03852508.html
For the Varia 510: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/variartl510/EN-US/GUID-B57313D5-E6C4-430E-A7AB-5FDE57CBF205-homepage.html