Karoo 2 users can connect to a Garmin Varia radar via ANT+. Once connected and in-ride, users will be made aware of the threat level of approaching traffic while riding, and be able to mute/unmute the radar indicator in-ride to have control over on-screen visuals for cars approaching (i.e. on busy city streets).
Note: If you have a Varia Radar with an inbuilt taillight, you would have to pair both sensors individually. See: ANT+ Smart Light Integration
The following Audio Cues are available through the in-built beeper or a connected Bluetooth Audio Device.
- Vehicle approaching
- Vehicle approaching fast
- Battery low warning
Basis of in-ride visual representation:
- Connection of a Radar triggers the Radar icon in the action bar.
- The Car Track Sidebar appears and overlays on the left side of the data page accordingly.
- When a car approaches, there’s a dynamic visual representation of the distance between rider and car in realtime
- Multiple cars: Radar in-ride experience will reliably handle up to 8 cars approaching.
The distance of each car will be represented independently within the Car Track Sidebar.
- Yellow - “Low threat” : Car approaching at normal speed.
- Red - “High threat” : Car approaching at high speed.
(any vehicle faster than 90km/h (55mph) relative to the bike
or any vehicle significantly faster than the average vehicle speed)
- Green - “Threat passed” : Clear after high/low threat
- You can mute the Radar when needed.
- We’ve restricted this ability to toggle Radar Mute/Unmute under the
Control Center to prevent it from happening accidentally while riding.
- In the muted state, Radar remains connected. Only the in-ride, on-screen experience changes. Audio Cues are muted.
- Control for this is an in-ride-only feature and doesn’t need to be toggle-able anywhere else.
- When muted, the audio alerts for approaching cars are turned off, but the Car Track Sidebar will still appear.
Note: Do not turn on the head unit until it's within 3 m of the Radar
and also more than 10m away from other ANT devices.
This is how the "Low Battery" notification from the Varia Radar will look like:
Note: The low battery notification remains on the screen for 5 seconds.