So today (5 July), I get the Karoo automatically starting to download the new update. This happened when I uploaded a ride to Strava using my phone as a hot spot. Once I come inside to where there was wifi, I tried to continue downloading over the Centurylink DSL network that the place I was staying at had. It would not download. I thought that this was related to having started on the other network. So I fiddled around with getting it to continue downloading but to not do it over the LTE cellular network. Took forever, so I stopped the download and did a factory reset.
Well, when it came back up, the only WiFi I connected it to was the local DSL network. I still would not load and I’m convinced that is is related to some network incompatiblity within the Karoo.
So now the Karoo insists on downloading software and it won’t let me do anything else because it is so intent on making sure I have the best f***ing user experience. The user experience I am having is none.
This brings to light several serious bugs:
1. Auto download of software should at least ask you before it starts downloading. It should NOT initiate a download in the background all on it’s own. This has issues with all kinds of problems - not the least of which would be using up tons of mobile data without your knowledge.
2. Karoo has some serious incompatibilies with certain networks, networking etc... or there is some problem with the way DNS servers are attached within Karoo’s own software. It’s probably advisable on connectingfor downloads for this to be a DNS controlled by Karoo and that is hard coded within their software (as a suggestion).
So now after all this, I am left with a nonfunctioning Karoo while it downloads the new software at someting like 10% or less per hour.
This is completely unacceptable. If I wasn’t staying with friends, the Karoo would be in little pieces after I threw the damn thing against the wall.
Please sign in to leave a comment.