After 30 days or so with the K2, I am going to return it. As much as I hate my Garmin 530, the K2 is not quite ready for prime time.
1. Auto Wheel Circumference is not even close. I use a Garmin speed sensor on the rear hub. The answers I have gotten are "1-2% difference is expected". Meanwhile, my 530 is accurate to like a few mm. This affects the total distance noted on Strava and on the K2 (it can be corrected after uploading to Strava, but why can't they fix the auto wheel?) They don't seem to even feel that this is a problem.
2. Auto Pause: This may be related to the Speed sensor. I have it set to 0 mph. It takes like 3 seconds for the K2 to even notice I have stopped. They say that is normal. It is not. My 530 shows 0 mph, immediately.
3. Elevation is off in Strava. Again, it can be corrected in Strava, but my stupid 530 uses both GPS and barometer for elevation, I don't need to correct it in Strava.
4. Time of workout is not accurate when I use my trainer and upload it to Strava. There is no fix for this one. I do not know why Strava takes 20 secs or more off of my workouts. Again, blamed on FIT file and Strava. Again my Garmin is accurate.
5. The wifi turns off when I power off the unit. Irritating. 530 works.
6. No live tracking without sim card. Not even with a connected phone. 530 does this.
7. I can't calibrate my Stages LR power meter with the K2. 530 works.
8. Auto upload doesn't work quite right. It does on the 530. Finish workout/ride and it automatically goes to Garmin connect and Strava. With K2, I have to connect to wifi and then manually upload to Strava. It doesn't go from dashboard to Strava despite connected accounts. With my phone connected to my 530, it uploads automatically to Strava and Garmin connect even when I am not anywhere near wifi.
9. Very sparse data on dashboard compared to Garmin connect.
10. No ANT+ control of head light.
11. No texts displayed despite showing that the iphone is connected.
I really wanted to love the K2. I can overlook some problems, but there are too many. None are deal breakers by themselves, but there are so many. I have written many complaints. I should not have to complain this much to get it to work as least as well as my 530. It is a shame, because it is so beautiful and can do some cool things. I hope in time that these things get sorted out.
Please sign in to leave a comment.