Karoo users can connect to a Garmin Varia radar via ANT+. Once connected and in-ride, users will be made aware of the threat level of approaching traffic while riding, and be able to mute/unmute the radar indicator in-ride to have control over on-screen visuals for cars approaching (i.e. on busy city streets).
Audio Cues are available if you connect a pair of Bluetooth headphones or a speaker. Click here to see how.
Basis of in-ride visual representation:
- Connection of a Radar triggers the Radar icon in the action bar.
- The Car Track Sidebar appears and overlays on the left side of the data page accordingly.
- When a car approaches, there’s a dynamic visual representation of the distance between rider and car in realtime
- Multiple cars: Radar in-ride experience will reliably handle up to 8 cars approaching.
The distance of each car will be represented independently within the Car Track Sidebar.
- Yellow - “Low threat” : Car approaching at normal speed.
- Red - “High threat” : Car approaching at high speed.
- Green - “Threat passed” : Clear after high/low threat
- You can mute the Radar when needed.
- In the muted state, Radar remains connected. Only the in-ride, on-screen experience changes. Audio Cues are muted.
- Control for this is an in-ride only feature and doesn’t need to be toggle-able anywhere else.
- In the muted state, the sidebar is reduced to a single line which shows the Radar threats.
Note: Do not turn on the head unit until it's within 3 m of the Radar and also more than 10m away from other ANT devices.
This is how the "Low Battery" notification from the Varia Radar will look like:
Note: The low battery notification remains on the screen until the user dismisses it by tapping on it.